Many Japanese cuisine call for the use of Dashi. Dashi is the base broth that is boil with a variety of ingredient such as Konbu, Bonito flakes, Shitake or Ikiro. Depending on the cuisine I am preparing, I may use a mixed of ingredient, the most common dashi will Awase Dashi made from Konbu and Bonito.
Dashi with unfiltered Bonito
Sometime I would filter the dashi and freeze it up into cube for later use. The ice cube mould come great, it divide it into smaller cube.
Since it is home made, and no preservative is used, please do not keep for too long.
Katsuobushi (Benito Flake)
Ingredient for Awase Dashi
- Konbu 「昆布」also know as kelp, 10g
- Benito Flake, 15g
- 1 litre water
- Clean the konbu with a cloth
- Soak the Konbu in a pot for 45minutes
- Slowly bring the pot to a boil over medium heat
- Remove the konbu before boiling
- Add in Benito Flake and slowly bring it to a boil
- Once it boil, turn to low heat and simmer for 20 to 30 seconds and turn off the heat
- Let the benito settle.
- Filter the dashi with a clean soft cloth.
Filtered Benito Flakes
The filtered Benito Flakes can be keep to be used for other dishes or to make the second dashi which is lighter.